Elephanta Caves are the network of sculpted caves located on Elephanta Island, or Gharapuri in Mumbai Harbour.
Cities Covered: Mumbai (India).
Across the Mumbai Harbour, lie the seventh-century rock-cut temples of Elephanta. Once known as Gharapuri, or the Fortress City, the Caves are now designated as a World Heritage Site and visited by hundreds of tourists both for their art historical and scenic value.
The Portuguese renamed this island Elephanta after a large stone elephant found near the shore ( the elephant sculpture collapsed in 1814 when the British relocated it to the Victoria Gardens now Mumbai’s zoo, where it still stands).
- Tour Timing : 0800hrs till 1300hrs
(pick up may vary depending on the location of the hotel)
- The tour will not operate on Monday as Elephanta Caves remain closed on Mondays.
- Meal as listed in the itinerary
- Private Transportation for the visits.
- Professional local English speaking city guide for visits.
- Admission Fees of visiting sites as per itinerary.
- Return Boat Ride and toy train ticket.
- All local government taxes wherever applicable.
- Items of a personal nature, such as, telephone calls and beverages including wines,
- Liquors, soft drinks, Meal (Lunch) list in the program
- Tips & Gratuities to guide(s) and to chauffeur(s)
- Any expenses caused by reasons beyond Apollo Voyages and its associate office.
- Any other expenses not mentioned in inclusions.
- Please carry valid identity proofs (passport, driving license etc).
- Please note that dress codes are conservative throughout India; modest and respectful clothing that covers the shoulders and knees is recommended. This is very important while visiting religious places
- Always carry bottled water or packaged mineral water.
- Avoid taking street food unless you are into experimenting.
- Take care of your belongings while travelling in a crowded public place.
- Keep photocopies of your passport in the hotel locker.