Founded as an East India Company trading post, Kolkata was India’s capital under the British Raj from 1773–1911. Kolkata Sightseeing Tour offers you an insight into grand colonial architecture, art galleries and cultural festivals. It’s also home to Mother House, headquarters of the Missionaries of Charity, founded by Mother Teresa, whose tomb is on site. Kolkata Sightseeing Tour amazes you as it takes you thru the journey of flower market and the heritage which exists in its current state from centuries.
Cities Covered: Kolkata (India).
Today the tour of this vibrant city begins with the Jain Temple also known as the “Jewel Box Temple of Kolkata”. It is situated in the northeast of the city. This temple of exquisite design and construction is dedicated to the 10th of the 24 Jain Tirthankaras and is an ornate mass of mirrors, coloured stones and glass mosaics.
After this, we move to see Kumartolli ( a place where craftsmen make idols). Kolkata is famous for its festivals (PUJAS) round the year and this is the place where the idols are made. It is very interesting to see the craftsman making idols without using any machinery.
Finally, we move to Marble Palace (closed on Monday & Thursday). It is a private museum owned by the Mullicks (Zamindars during the British period). We then move to College Street (one of the Asia’s largest book market – closed on Sunday & other holidays), have a cup of coffee at the famous “Coffee Shop” where one can see the young Turks gossiping and feel the pulse of the culture.
After Lunch visit to the PARK STREET CEMETRY one of the oldest cemetery in the country. Next, we visit Mother Teresa House (closed on Thursday); here lies the mother’s tomb, a photo gallery of Mother Teresa and her works.
Finally, we visit Kali Temple. It is a great pilgrimage centre of the Hindus and is situated at Kalighat. The original temple was built some 350 years ago. A legend goes that when the corpse of Sati, wife of Lord Shiva was cut into pieces by the Sudarshan Chakra, one of her fingers fell here.
- Timing : 0900hrs till 1800hrs.
- Meal as listed in the itinerary.
- Private Transportation for the visits.
- Professional local English speaking city guide for visits.
- Admission Fees of visiting sites as per itinerary.
- All local government taxes wherever applicable.
- Items of a personal nature, such as, telephone calls and beverages including wines, liquors, soft drinks, Meal (Lunch) list in the program
- Tips & Gratuities to guide(s) and to chauffeur(s)
- Any expenses caused by reasons beyond Apollo Voyages and its associate office.
- Any other expenses not mentioned in inclusions.
- Please carry valid identity proofs (passport, driving license etc).
- Please note that dress codes are conservative throughout India; modest and respectful clothing that covers the shoulders and knees is recommended. This is very important while visiting religious places.
- Always carry bottled water or packaged mineral water.
- Avoid taking street food unless you are into experimenting.
- Take care of your belongings while travelling in a crowded public place.
- Keep photocopies of your passport in the hotel locker.