Day trip to Kanheri Caves from Mumbai
The Kanheri Caves are a group of caves and rock-cut monuments formed from a massive basalt outcrop in the forests of the Sanjay Gandhi National Park.
Cities Covered: Mumbai (India).
The Kanheri Caves constitute a group of rock-cut monuments that are located north of Borivali on the western outskirts of Mumbai, India. Located within the forests of the Sanjay Gandhi National Park, the caves are 6km from the main gate of the park. The Kanheri Caves demonstrate the Buddhist influence on the art and culture of India. Kanheri comes from the Sanskrit Krishnagiri, which means Black Mountain. They were chiselled out of a massive basaltic rock outcropping.
The architectures of this cave are regarded to be one of the finest in India. According to historians, these caves scooped out between 200 BC and 600 AD. The whole complex has 109 caves cut manually on the flank of a hill; each fitted with a stone plinth that evidently served as a bed.
There is a congregation hall supported by the huge stone pillars that have the Dagoba, a kind of Buddhist shrine. Kanheri is regarded as one of the world’s great religious houses. There are – a 20 feet colossal Buddha, an 11-headed Bodhisattva (Buddhist saint) and a Nagaraja, an ancient pre-Buddhist serpent king who guarded the most famous Buddhist Chaitya hall in the caves.
The caves have an elaborate drainage system to channel excess water during the monsoon to the neighbouring Vihar, Tulsi and Powai lakes, which in turn are responsible for much of Bombay’s water supply.
- Tour Timing : 0800hrs till 1500hrs
(pick up may vary depending on the location of the hotel)
- Meal as listed in the itinerary.
- Private Transportation for the visits.
- Professional local English speaking city guide for visits.
- Admission Fees of visiting sites as per itinerary.
- All local government taxes wherever applicable.
- Items of a personal nature, such as, telephone calls and beverages including wines,
- Liquors, soft drinks, Meal (Lunch) list in the program
- Tips & Gratuities to guide(s) and to chauffeur(s)
- Any expenses caused by reasons beyond Apollo Voyages and its associate office.
- Any other expenses not mentioned in inclusions.
- Please carry valid identity proofs (passport, driving license etc).
- Please note that dress codes are conservative throughout India; modest and respectful clothing that covers the shoulders and knees is recommended. This is very important while visiting religious places
- Always carry bottled water or packaged mineral water.
- Avoid taking street food unless you are into experimenting.
- Take care of your belongings while travelling in a crowded public place.
- Keep photocopies of your passport in the hotel locker.