Enjoy a private cultural tour from Chennai to Mahabalipuram and Dakshinachitra that showcases traditional South Indian culture, architecture and religion. Join your expert guide in comfortable air-conditioned transport as you make your way to a Dravidian (South Indian) village. See local artisans at work and gain insight into customs and traditions before wandering the halls of its small but impressive museum. Enjoy lunch at a local restaurant before making a stop at the UNESCO World Heritage-listed city of Mahabalipuram. Experience the splendor of impressive rock-cut sculptures and decorated temples that offer up striking examples of Dravidian architecture
Proceed for the visit of Mamallapuram and Dakshinchitra. Mamallapuram, along Bas-reliefremains of the Pallava Dynasty of the 7th and 8th centuries are the exotic attraction of this town. Mamallapuram dates back to the Tamil Pallava dynasty in the 7th-9thcentury. The structures here, mostly carved straight out of granite, are among the oldest existing examples of Dravidian (South Indian) architecture. Here you will visit rock cut temples which are excellent examples of Pallava art. The world’s largest bas-relief measuring 27mx9m, this huge whale –back shaped rock contains figures of gods, demigods, men, beast and birds and in fact, can be said to represent creation itself. The Shore Temple is one of the oldest temples in South India. It belongs to the 8thCentury A.D. and is a good example of the first phase of the structure of temples constructed in the Dravidian style. On the way back to Chennai visit Dakshinchitra, a unique village outdoor museum and heritage center that portrays the lifestyles, cultures and craft traditions of diverse peoples of South India at a beautiful 10-acre site by the sea. The American-born founder, anthropologist Deborah Thaigarajan, continues to expand exhibits and education programs. Artisans work on-site and sell their wares.
Tour Start Time 0930hrs
Duration Approx. 7 hours
- Meal as listed in itinerary.
- Private Transportation for the visits.
- Professional local English speaking city guide for visits.
- Admission Fees of visiting sites per itinerary.
- All local government taxes where applicable.
- Items of a personal nature, such as, telephone calls and beverages including wines, liquors, soft drinks, Meal (Refer to Tour Inclusions) list in the program
- Tips &Gratuities to guide(s) and to chauffeur(s).
- Any expenses caused by reasons beyond Apollo Voyages and its associate office.
- Any other expenses not mentioned in inclusions.
- Please carry valid identity proofs (passport, driving license etc).
- Please note that dress codes are conservative throughout India; modest and respectful clothing that covers the shoulders and knees is recommended. This is very important while visiting religious places.
- Always carry bottled water or packaged mineral water.
- Avoid taking street food unless you are into experimenting.
- Take care of your belongings while travelling in a crowded public place.
- Keep photocopies of your passport in the hotel locker.