Enjoy a fascinating journey through the backwaters of Kerala, a chain of brackish lagoons and lakes lying parallel to the Arabian Sea coast of Kerala. The network includes five large lakes linked by canals, both man made and natural, fed by 38 rivers, and extending virtually half the length of Kerala state. In the midst of this beautiful landscape there are a number of towns and cities, which are the starting and end points of backwater cruises. An exhilarating tour of God’s own country, Kerala. Come to the land of spices and experience the tranquillity of composed seawater, tropical greenery and imperial hills. Visit historic Meenakshi Temple in Madurai and Shore Temple of Mahabalipuram
Arrive Kochi in the evening and check in at hotel.
After breakfast, depart to Alleppey approx. 1.5 hour drive, where you can board house boat. Houseboats, also known as kettuvallam or rice boats (left), were used to carry rice bags in the earlier days. These houseboats are uniquely designed, using local materials such as bamboo poles, coconut finer ropes, bamboo mats, and carpets.
After breakfast and disembark from the house boat at Kumarakom, check into a home stay in Kumarakom (located on the bank of famous back water of Kerala).
Morning drive into the cool lush hills, and to lakeside Thekkady at 800 m/2624 ft (3-4 hrs drive).
Covering an area of 300 square miles Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary is the home of wild elephants, Sambar (a large antlered deer), wild boar, barking deer, leopard, bison, monkeys, Malabar squirrel, and the Royal Bengal Tiger, protected through Project Tiger since 1973.
Driveto Madurai often referred as the Athens of the East and the cradle of Tamil Culture.
Fly to Chennai, on arrival drive to Mahabalipuram en-route visit to Dakshina Chitra, an outdoor village museum and heritage center that displays the lifestyles, cultures and craft traditions of South Indians at a picturesque 10-acre site by the sea. The American-born founder, anthropologist Deborah Thaigarajan, oversees the non-profit center and educational programs. Artisans work on-site and sell their wares.
Wake up to the sounds of ocean waves and a scurry of fishermen as they head out in colorful boats (right)into the Bay of Bengal.
VisitKanchipuram, a spectacular temple city that reflects the glorious traditions of South India, dating back to the 2nd Capital city of the Pallavas, and for successive dynasties, this ancient city of a thousand temples is a major Hindu pilgrim center and one of the seven most sacred sites in India.
Visit the 17th century Fort St. George – from where Chennai grew as an early “Factory House” on the beach, now housing government offices; St Mary’s Church, India’s first English church, completed in 1680, with cannon-proof roofs and 1.3 m thick walls; Visit Santhome Cathedral, which houses the remains of St. Thomas the Apostle.
Check out at 1200hrs and drive to Kochi airport where your tour concludes.
The above rates are not valid from 20 December 2017 to 31 January, 2018.
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis at the above hotel details.
- Daily breakfast at the hotel.
- Services of local English speaking guide as per the itinerary.
- All transfers and sightseeing using an air-conditioned CAR with driver.
- Meeting and assistance by our office representative at all places.
- Kathakali show in Cochin.
- Boat rides on the Lake Periyar.
- All present applicable taxes.
- Any expenses of personal nature such as laundry, drinks (alcoholic &non alcoholic), phone calls, Tips at hotels/restaurants/guides and chauffeur, still &video camera charges etc.
- Any Lunch &Dinner.
- Any monument entrance fees (USD 30 per person, subject to change for Foreign nationals), the same will be payable directly by the pax at the monuments.
- Air tickets to India and back, India Visa fees and travel insurance etc.
- Any domestic air tickets.
- Any expenses caused by reasons beyond our and our associate offices control such as flight delays, rescheduling or cancellations, any accidents, medical evacuation riots, strikes, political unrest, natural disasters etc.
- Any other taxes or service charges that could be enforced during travelling period will be extra and needed to be borne by the guests.
- Mandatory Christmas / New Year Eve Gala dinner supplement may apply at hotels and may be additional.
- Any other expenses not specified above in “Price include”section.
- Cancellation 30days before the date of travel no retention
- Cancellation between 30 to 15 days before the date of travel 50% cancellation applies
- Cancellation between 14 to 08 days before the date of travel 75% cancellation applies
- Cancellation within 07 days before the date of travel 100% cancellation applies.